Simply stated, email marketing is the process of sending email messages to prospective and existing customers that have subscribed to your email list. It’s a way to connect with your audience and communicate important brand and product information to enhance their experience.
This method of digital marketing has the ability to integrate key marketing tactics to reach a vast audience and grow your customer base. Email marketing utilizes communication as an educational tool to increase sales, stay ahead of your competition, and build long-lasting relationships with your audience.
Setting up your email marketing
Step 1: Identify your target audience. The first part of developing your email marketing strategy is knowing who will want to receive your message.
- What personas are you wanting to target with your messaging?
Step 2: Choosing the right email marketing software. There are numerous platforms available to build your email list and send your messages. Do your research to find which one meets your specific needs.
- What tools and integrations do you need? Will you be sharing your email messages on social media?
- Many email marketing platforms offer a free plan for businesses with minimal subscribers, though specific services are only available through their paid accounts.
Step 3: Build your list. After you have determined who you want to communicate with, give them the opportunity to subscribe to your emails.
- Your email marketing platform should provide an option to add a signup form to your website. This is a great way to begin building your list of subscribers, but it doesn’t end there.
- Building an email list is beyond placing a sign-up form on a website. Potential subscribers need to be compelled to want to subscribe – consider offering incentives such as exclusive access to pre-launches, discounts, consumer-driven product design, educational resources, and more.
- Social media can be utilized to further build your audience organically or through paid advertisements by offering potential subscribers an incentive to sign up.
Step 4: Establish a cadence for how often you’ll send emails and stick to it.
- If you have the right content to engage your audience, you don’t want to miss out on sustaining that relationship. They will notice if you drop off and no longer send them emails, which may lead to them wondering why you’re less communicative and potentially diminishing their trust in your brand.
Step 5: Incorporate content that is compelling and makes your reader want to open your email. To send effective marketing emails, you need the right content that speaks to and informs your audience. You can repurpose existing content and develop pieces that can be used across various platforms.
- Do you post regular blog articles? You can use email marketing to direct readers to your blog post through a call to action (CTA).
- What types of content are performing well on your social media channels?
- Were you featured in recent media publications? Share that with your audiences to highlight your brand’s product and services without making it feel like a sales pitch.
- Are you involved in any upcoming events? Show your audience that you’re engaged in the industry.
- Do you have newly released resources on your website? Inform your audience that you prioritize your customer experience and showcase these resources (whitepapers, product guides, etc.).
How to implement your email marketing strategy
These are various ways in which you can implement your email marketing strategy. We’re here to work with you as you explore which methods to pursue and will help guide you through the intricacies of email marketing.